PhD position in Molecular Parasitology
Structure, function and biogenesis of mitoribosomes of Trypanosoma brucei
We are seeking a highly motivated individual to join our team working on the unique traits of mitochondrial ribosomes and translation of Trypanosoma brucei, the causative agent of the sleeping sickness. Ribosomes, highly conserved machines fundamental for all life forms, were recently shown to undergo unexpected diversification in endosymbiotic organelles with vestigial genomes. The most divergent ribosomes are found in the mitochondria of parasitic protists from the group of Kinetoplastids, including trypanosomes. In this project, we complement the wealth of structural information on mitoribosomes and their precursors obtained by cryoEM with functional approaches to get detailed insight into lineage specific features of translation in mitochondria of trypanosomes. We aim to understand how the divergent mitoribosomes co-evolved with the peculiar context of the mitochondrial gene expression in the parasite.
The successful applicant will work under the supervision of Ondrej Gahura in the Laboratory of Functional Biology of Protist led by Alena Zíková, at the Institute of Parasitology, Biology Centre of the Czech Academy of Science in Ceske Budejovice (Budweiss), Czech Republic. Our institute is located in the joint campus of Czech Academy and Science and University of Science Bohemia, providing an international and multidisciplinary scientific environment. The historic city of Ceske Budejovice (population 100.000), famous for its Budweiser beer, is a pleasant, safe and affordable place for living, and offers a wide range of freetime activities.
- Work with organism with unique molecular and cellular processes and medical importance
- Modern techniques of molecular and structural biology and biochemistry
- Well-equipped laboratory with friendly and international team
- Opportunities to present advances of the project on conferences, network of international collaborations
- Scholarship and partial appointment together fully covering living expenses for at least 3 years
- MSc degree or equivalent from Biology, Biochemistry, or related field
- Enthusiasm, commitment and team spirit
- Good English communication skills
TO APPLY, send a cover letter, CV and at least one reference contact to Ondrej Gahura (email@example.com). The successful candidate will be selected in January 2020. Start date as soon as possible upon the mutual agreement.
Laboratory of Functional Biology of Protists: https://www.paru.cas.cz/en/sections/molecular-parasitology/laboratory-of-functional-biology-of-protists/ Ondřej Gahura: https://www.paru.cas.cz/en/staff/profile/628-ondrej-gahura/
Studying in Czech Republic and living costs: https://www.studyin.cz/live-work/living-costs/