Tourist Guides & Event Calendars
Got free time and no idea where to head? Visit online guides and see some tips on various events in the city or on trips to the rich and beautiful nature surroundings:
Before you set out for a trip, it is good to plan your route. Try the most used Czech portal en.mapy.cz (is in English and has also a mobile app with offline maps). Also, get familiar with the Czech emergency contacts (visit section Important contacts) in advance.
Tip: visit Český Krumlov, chateau Hluboká or hike a hill called Kleť
Beside shops with essential goods (food, hygiene items etc.), the shopping centres usually also offer shops with clothes, electronics, jewellery, sport equipment etc. Gastro-zone and fun-zone of some sort are included as well. There are often various services (operators, banks, beauty salons, pet centres, …) located at the centre’s premises.
- IGY Centrum
- NC Géčko
- DOC Mercury (on its roof, the main bus terminal is located)
- OZC Čtyři Dvory
Cinema and Theatre
Larger cinemas with more screening rooms typically screen several movies at the same time, so you can simply come, pick a movie, buy a ticket and wait a while for the movie to start. Foreign movies are typically screened with original sound and Czech subtitles. Czech dubbed version is made mainly for movies for kids.
- CineStar IGY Centrum
- CineStar Čtyři Dvory
- Kino Kotva
- Summer Cinema Háječek
- This open-air cinema is well recommended. The entrance fee is only 50 CZK and you can buy beer and barbecue there. It operates only during summer months though.
If you search for some live performance, try opera, ballet, comedy and others at South Bohemian Theatre (operates also famous outdoor Revolving Theatre in Český Krumlov).
Outdoor Events in the City
Many outdoor festivals and other events take place in the city regularly. They usually include art, music, markets, games etc. The most popular are e.g. Múzy na vodě, Vltava žije, Město lidem, lidé městu, Středy před K2, Budějovický majáles, Buskers Fest, all of them are in summer. In winter, the biggest event is the advent market at the main square with concerts and ice skating ring surrounding the fountain.
For current calendar of events visit www.budejce.cz/en/calendar.
There are also University of South Bohemia's events for its students (e.g. Univerzitní zavírák). Several events are held at the student's club Kampa as well which is located in the university campus next to the BC.
Tips on fitness studios & yoga lessons in CB:
- Kvalita Fitness
- Fitness 14
- Vertex Fitness
- Think Yoga
- Bikram Yoga (exercising in higher room temperature)
Recommendations on other sport activities:
- Badminton na Výstavišti (can be paid from our social fund, ask the secretary)
- Sportovně relaxační areál Hluboká nad Vltavou (possibility of renting an equipment)
- Climbing gym Stěna Lanovka (courses available)
- Indoor and outdoor summer swimming pool & sauna Plavecký stadion
- Natural swimming pool Borek
Leisure Activities for Kids
- Dům dětí a mládeže offers huge variety of courses for children and adults.
- Try some activity offered by sport organization T. J. Sokol.
- Also the Salesian Youth Centre holds rich program for children.
- Objevárium is a non-profit organization that supports the education of children in a playful and unconventional way.
- There are many outdoor playgrounds within the city, check e.g. multifunctional Park Čtyři Dvory.
- Sportovně relaxační areál Hluboká nad Vltavou offers many sport options and it is possible to rent a sport equipment.
- Indoor and outdoor summer swimming pool Plavecký stadion
- Natural swimming pool Borek
- Recommended indoor playgrounds:
- Family centre Madlenka (offers also courses for children)
- Hřiště BezBot (entrance fee, offers summer camps for children)
- Hopsárium (entrance fee)
- Climbing gym Stěna Lanovka (courses available; also for adults)
Discounts with ISIC
ISIC is the only globally recognized proof of student status for high schools, colleges and universities and selected one-year post-secondary fields of study. If you hold a valid ISIC card, you may use many benefits and discounts on various services, including leisure time activities, culture and music events etc. Visit www.isic.cz/en/ to see what can you do with your card.
Do you have any useful tip, recommendation or experience, which you'd like to share to help others? Or any comment on information on this page? Let us know.