HR Excellence in Science


Get acquainted with the Biology Centre CAS

The Biology Centre CAS (“BC”) is a public research institution and an association comprised of five scientific institutes (“SI”) and the Technical and Administrative Service. It has a total of six organizational components:

  • The Institute of Entomology ("IE")
  • The Institute of Hydrobiology ("HBI")
  • The Institute of Parasitology ("IP")
  • The Technical and Administrative Service ("TAS")
  • The Institute of Plant Molecular Biology ("IPMB")
  • The Institute of Soil Biology and Biogeochemistry ("ISBB")

The structure of the BC can be viewed at:

For more information about the agenda of the individual workplaces of the BC, please visit:

How to reach us? Addresses and a map of the premises (plan of workplaces) of the BC can be found here:

Phone numbers, e-mail addresses and numbers of BC employees' offices can be found in the public directory of employees:

Also visit our public website for BC employees (including information for expats):


Labour law requirements

Before you start working at the BC, you fill in a personal questionnaire and you undergo an occupational medical examination. You will also need to sign all the necessary labour law documents (employment contract, salary statement, job description, a form for issuing a chip and creating an account in the catering system, etc.) before or no later than on the day of starting work. Documents, forms and all the necessary information will be provided to you by the secretariat of the relevant SI or by a personnel officer on the basis of previous communication.

For foreign employees, there is a designated HR specialist from the TAS Personnel Department, who will contact you well in advance and take care of all the necessary details related to your mobility.


Occupational medical examination

You must undergo an occupational medical examination ("OME") before the establishment of an employment relationship. An employment contract cannot be concluded without the successful completion of an OME.

If you are placed in the 1st category without risk on the basis of the evaluation of work-related risk factors, you can undergo an OME at your general practitioner. In any other case, you must complete the OME at the contractual doctor of the BC CAS, MUDr. František Souček, whose office is located on the premises of the BC. A map, office hours and contact information for making an appointment can be found here:

Whether you go to your general practitioner or the contractual doctor of the BC, you must have an "Application for an occupational medical examination" with you, which will be provided to you in advance by the secretariat or personnel officer. For an examination by the contractual doctor of the BC, you will also need to get an extract from your medical records from your general practitioner and a morning urine sample.

Keep proof of the OME performed by your doctor or proof of payment of the fee paid for obtaining the medical documentation extract from your GP and hand it over to the secretariat / personnel officer. The fee will be reimbursed by the BC upon starting work; you will be asked to collect the cash at the relevant secretariat / TAS cash desk.

After Onboarding...

First day you become our collague, you receive an Adaptation (Onboarding) manual (can be also downloaded here in Czech version and here in English version after singing in). In the manual, you find further steps and information, what to keep in mind and how to cope with various situations you may encounter in first weeks after your start at the BC.



Biology Centre CAS
Branišovská 1160/31
370 05 České Budějovice
Data box: r84nds8


+420 387 775 111 (switchboard)
+420 387 775 051 (secretariat)
+420 778 468 552 (for media)

Staff search

Biologické centrum Google mapa

Login to the intranet

To log into the intranet enter your login details